Vegetable Shepherd's Pie58 Reviews
“A delicious and savory meatless meal that sticks to your ribs!” - by Sparkles
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water until tender. Drain and mash.
- While potatoes are cooking, steam or boil carrots and mixed vegetables until near tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook garlic powder, basil and parsley in butter or margarine for about 20 seconds (or microwave for 10 seconds). Stir into mashed potatoes along with salt and pepper. Gradually beat in enough milk to make potatoes light and fluffy, add a little more milk if necessary. Set aside
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil until tender but not brown. Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar and vegetable/carrot mixture. Heat through until bubbly.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a 8x8x2 inch baking dish. Drop mashed potatoes in mounds over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake, uncovered at 375 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 686 cal
- 14.4 g
- 119.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (58)Rate This Recipe
"This is an excellent recipe. I made a few slight modifications for my own personal taste but this one is awesome. Being vegetarian, I appreciate these recipes all the more! My husband raved about i..." See moret as well! My revisions: - used only tomato sauce not diced tomatoes. - no carrots, only frozen mixed vegetables - no soy sauce or sugar was used - I halved the recipe because I made it for only my husband and I."
"I thought that was very good. Used fresh veggies instead of frozen: 2 carrots, 2 celery branches, 1 red pepper, 5 very big mushrooms and 1 can of corn. Sauteed onion with 3 big garlic cloves then adde..." See mored the carrots and finely, the rest of the veggies. Followed the rest except added ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning to the mix. Melted butter (2 ½ tbsp), pasley and 1 clove of garlic on stove for ~1-2 min on low heat to add to the mashed potatoes: mmm..."
"I can't eat kidney beans, so, I substituted pinto beans. 8 large potatoes was way more than I needed. The second time I make it with 5 and still had a little left. It seems a little dry to me, so, ..." See moreI served it with a vegatarian brown gravy. My husband loves this recipe! I can't believe the nutrition info is correct though, everything seems too high, maybe for the whole recipe, but, not per serving."
Elk Shepherd's Pie
Shepherd's Pie VI
Just swipe to see more like this.