World's Greatest Vegetable Broth70 Reviews
“This makes a broth that is slightly thick with a rich color and full flavor. The broth can be frozen in one or one and a half cup blocks for later use. This recipe also leaves you with a bowl full of delicious cooked vegetables, I love to snack on them cold.” - by Tom West
Original recipe yields 2 quarts
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Remove leaves and tender inner parts of celery and set aside.
- Toss onions, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers and turnips with olive oil. Place vegetables in a roasting pan and place them in the 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven. Stir the vegetable every 15 minutes. Cook until all of the vegetables have browned and the onions start to caramelize, this will take over one hour.
- Put the browned vegetables, celery, garlic, cloves, bay leaf, pepper corns, Italian parsley and water into a large stock pot. Bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour the broth through a colander, catching the broth in a large bowl or pot. The liquid caught in the bowl or pot is your vegetable broth it can be used immediately or stored for later use. Although the vegetables are no longer necessary for your broth they are delicious to eat hot or cold, don't waste them!
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 133 cal
- 4 g
- 23.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (70)Rate This Recipe
"Loved this! I make lots of risotto, so this is a perfect recipe for me. Also, I purée the leftover vegetables and add them to a spaghetti sauce for later meals...." See more"
"This is very good, I made it as it was written. Make sure and reduce it down or it will not have much flavor...." See more"
"After straining, I added 1 can of diced tomatoes, with juice, 1 can dark red kidney beans, and 1 can Cannelini beans, and brought it back to a boil. Then I added 1 cup of Pastina shaped pasta, and co..." See moreok it for 4 minutes. It made a great hearty vegetarian soup, and I got some protein in there too! Thanks Tom, for this great broth!"
Basic Vegetable Stock
Indian Vegetable Rice
Just swipe to see more like this.