Home-Style Brown Rice Pilaf102 Reviews
“This is comfort food at its best with mild flavors and it's simple to make. This is a very versatile dish: if you prefer, you can use almonds in place of the cashews, and cilantro in place of the parsley.” - by jen
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Bring 1-1/2 cups water to boil, add rice. Bring contents back to a boil, cover the pot and simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Approximately 20 minutes before rice is finished cooking heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and saute them, stirring frequently until they soften. Add the garlic and carrots and continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Place mushrooms inside of skillet and cook until mushrooms begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook 1 more minute.
- When the rice is finished cooking pour the eggs into the skillet and cook the mixture, stirring constantly until the eggs are cooked. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in pepper, parsley, and nuts.
- Spoon the cooked rice into the skillet and stir well. Serve the pilaf hot with soy sauce on the side for added flavor.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 409 cal
- 17.1 g
- 54 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (102)Rate This Recipe
"While I did alter this recipe a bit based on suggestions from others and our personal preferences, it was still really good and I'm sure the original recipe is just as good! Here's what I did - I sub..." See morestituted pine nuts for the cashews, omitted the mushrooms and chickpeas (my husband doesn't like them), added the spices & pine nuts when I sauted the onions & carrots, and only used one egg. I think I ate four servings! (Note: I've made this a ton of times since my initial review and have been using chickpeas instead of nuts and omitting the eggs due to my kids' food allergies. So good! Plus it would make a great vegetarian meal since the chickpeas add protein.)"
"Awesome is an understatement. I did make a few changes since we like spicy food. I sauteed the rice before cooking and used chicken broth. I sauteed onion, chopped celery, chopped carrots, garlic a..." See morend coarsely chopped mushrooms and added cayenne for bite. I replaced the chickpeas with vacuum packed corn and substituted pinon nuts for cashews. To die for. I served with pounded, sauteed chicken breasts and frozen cut leaf spinach seasoned with rice vinegar. I will make time and time again. Thanks for the recipe."
Brown Rice Bread
Spanish Brown Rice
Just swipe to see more like this.