- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 2 hr 30 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 30 min
“A traditional meat and rice-stuffed cabbage roll from the Volga-Germans families prevalent in Ellis County, Kansas.” - by paper_boy21
Original recipe yields 40 servings
- Place cabbages in a large stockpot filled halfway with water; add vinegar. Cover and steam over low heat until leaves are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove cabbages, reserving vinegar cooking water. Rinse with cold water to chill the cabbage, then separate the leaves.
- Meanwhile, bring 3 cups water and rice to a boil in a saucepan over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork; set aside to cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef and sausage with the onion, salt, garlic salt, and pepper, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cover the bottom of a large roasting pan with a single layer of cabbage leaves.
- Prepare the filling by stirring together the rice, cooked meat, and sauerkraut until well blended. Place 1/3 cup of filling into each leaf and roll into a cylinder, tucking in the ends as you roll it up. Place the rolls into the roasting pan. Pour in enough of the cooking liquid from the cabbage to come halfway up the sides of the rolls. Cover pan with a tight fitting lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving (40 total)
- 181 cal
- 9.3 g
- 11.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"These were SO GOOD! I made them for Thanksgiving "appetizers". only one person said they would try it. 5 people raved and asked not only for leftovers but the recipe as well. The stuffing is superb an..." See mored I will make to stuff other things as well."
"I grew up in Gove County so I know all about the Galuskies!!! I still live in the area and love eating them! Great recipe!..." See more"
Cabbage and Noodles
Black Pepper Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
Just swipe to see more like this.