Southern-Style Onion Rings18 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“A favorite recipe for great Southern sweet and spicy onion rings.” - by gred4
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper; set aside. Line 2 additional baking sheets or 1 tray with paper towels; set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Pour the milk into a second shallow bowl. In a third bowl, stir together the cornmeal, 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, and black pepper.
- Dip the onion rings first into the plain flour, then into the milk, and last into the cornmeal mixture. Place the breaded rings on the wax paper-lined baking sheets.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, or deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Fry the onion rings a few at a time in the hot oil so they are not crowded, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheets, and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 1360 cal
- 113.2 g
- 78.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (18)Rate This Recipe
"this is by far the best onion ring recipe i have tried.that nice crunch from the cornmeal is excellent.the spices are perfect and now i'm to full to write any more. THANKS..." See more"
"Good flavor(we left out the thyme)DH really liked them! Served with fried shrimp and baked potato. Now thats some good eatin!..." See more"
Old Fashioned Onion Rings
Fried Onion Rings
Just swipe to see more like this.