- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This is a traditional Saudi main dish, made of rice with chicken or meat served with it.” - by Joud
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the chicken, cardamom pods, cinnamon, and whole red onion into a large Dutch oven. Fill with enough water to cover the chicken, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil for 20 minutes. Reserve 4 cups of the resulting chicken stock in a large saucepan.
- Remove the chicken and onion from the Dutch oven and place in a roasting pan. Season the chicken with the dried cilantro, black pepper, and salt; cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until the chicken becomes golden brown.
- Meanwhile, pour the rice in with the reserved chicken stock. Bring the rice to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. once it reaches a boil, cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to low, simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir the milk into the rice and bring the heat back up to medium-low; cook uncovered until no liquid remains. Serve the rice topped with the chicken and onion.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 865 cal
- 42.7 g
- 57.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"Good. Served to company and they all liked it too. It does not say whether to include the cinnamon sticks and pods in the broth that you use to cook the rice. I did not but I will try doing do next..." See more time to see if it strengthens the flavors. Also, I advise using more than one onion. The onion was the best at soaking up the flavors. The perfect bite had some chicken, some onion and some rice - but there was not really enough onion. Definitely will make again. Nice subtle flavors. Distinct recipe option. Makes me want to try more Saudi Arabian foods."
"I enjoyed this recipe because it was very easy to make and had a unique and subtle flavor. I also like that the rice is partially made with milk - it is a technique I will probably use in other dishes..." See more as well. In my area, it was difficult to find cardamom pods, so we used ground cardamom (3 tsp) instead. Not having a basis for comparison, I can't say if it turned out the same, but we thought it turned out very good. It was also an experience to try a Saudi dish as I had never had one before. I will certainly be recommending this recipe to others."
Baked Beer Can Chicken
Simple Chicken Cacciatore
Just swipe to see more like this.