Chocolate Liqueur Souffles13 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr
“I won a gold medal with this recipe at the Armed Forces Culinary Olympics in March of 2007. Serve the souffles with fresh raspberry sauce, if desired.” - by The_Tattooed_Chef
Original recipe yields 4 ramekins
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Thoroughly grease the the bottom and sides of four ramekins with the tablespoon of butter. Coat with sugar, tipping out any excess. If desired, place a raspberry and a drizzle of chocolate as a "surprise" at the bottom of each cup.
- Combine the cocoa powder, cornstarch, and a tablespoon of the sugar; set aside. Mix the butter and flour to form a paste. Lightly whisk one egg yolk in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the milk to the boiling point in a heavy saucepan; whisk in the flour-butter mixture until it melts. Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg yolk in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring the custard to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Cook and stir the custard until it thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stirring occasionally to keep it smooth. Combine the three remaining egg yolks with the vanilla, liqueur, and the sugar-cocoa-cornstarch mixture. Whisk in the warm custard, cover, and set aside. (The custard can be made ahead of time up to this point and refrigerated for a day before proceeding with the recipe.)
- About 35 minutes before serving, whip the egg whites until they are thick and foamy and have quadrupled in volume. Gradually mix in the remaining 3 tablespoons of the sugar, whipping until the egg whites are stiff but not dry. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the custard to lighten it, using a whisk or rubber spatula. Fold in the remaining meringue.
- Immediately transfer the souffle batter into the prepared ramekins, making a smooth mound slightly above the rim of each ramekin. (If you have a piping bag, you may pipe the mixture into the ramekins.) Bake at once in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the souffles have risen and the edges are set. Serve hot, with raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries to garnish, if desired.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 371 cal
- 15.9 g
- 42.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"This turned out wonderful. Not for the novice cook as you do have to juggle many tasks but that said this was my first souffle in years. It is a forgiving recipe. I roughly halved ingredients. I did n..." See moreot have chocolate liquor and used brandy instead. I made a small hole in the top and stuffed the souffles with the melted chocolate chips (I added a bit of butter to the chocolate chips and melted it in the microwave to help with consistency). Still fantastic. I watched several YouTube videos on how to make a souffle before attempting this- I would highly recommend doing this."
"Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! The only ingredients I altered about the recipe was that I substituted the quantity of milk with heavy cream. And for the gal who asked about what size ram..." See moreekin: I have single serving ramekins (7oz) and was able to use this recipe for 4. The chocolate chips he noted as ''melted (optional)''; I used a bit of intuition that he meant for the drizzle of the raspberry at the bottom of the souffle. If he meant it like that or not, I did it anyway and they came out very delicious! Bravo! "
"It would really help to know what size ramekins are needed. Also, you never said what to do with the chocolate chips. I wonder if this recipe can be made in one large souffle dish, and if so, what siz..." See moree? Feb.10 Update...thanks for telling the ramekins size, David's Chimpy! I also used a little intuition and removed "of the raspberry" from your statement about the chocolate chips, to understand what you meant. I think you're correct and the melted chocolate chips are to be drizzled in the bottom of the ramekins, along with the optional raspberry in each."
Eclair Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Dark Chocolate Souffles
Just swipe to see more like this.