Almond Twirl Bread1 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 35 min
“This impressive bread will be the star of any breakfast, brunch, or afternoon tea.” - by Makers of LACTAID® Brand Products
Original recipe yields 1 loaf
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan heat and stir 1 cup LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120 to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the side of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- For almond filling, in a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, softened, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon with a wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup ground almonds. Set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Roll dough to an 18x12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with Almond Filling, spreading evenly. Roll up into a spiral, starting from a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Shape into a ring; press ends together to seal. Using kitchen scissors, snip at 1-inch intervals, making each cut two-thirds of the way to center. Gently turn each section slightly to a side. Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped and top is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough of the 3 teaspoons LACTAID® Reduced Fat Milk to make of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bread. Top with sliced almonds.
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 253 cal
- 8.6 g
- 38.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe More Reviews
Just swipe to see more like this.