Everything But the Kitchen Sink Casserole5 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“Chicken, veggies, Marsala wine and mozzarella come together to make a delicious, savory casserole. Sometimes I leave the cheese off and put out a bowl, so it can be added as needed. If you're planning on keeping leftovers, I recommend doing this so the cheese doesn't get gummy.” - by Angie
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Stir the chicken broth, mushroom soup mix, mustard, and honey together in a bowl until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Spread the rice evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover the rice with a layer of ham, then the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots; cook until onion is transparent and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes more. Spoon the vegetables evenly over the chicken in the baking dish. Deglaze the skillet by adding the Marsala wine; cook and stir over medium heat to loosen any browned pieces of vegetables from the bottom. Let the liquid cool slightly, then stir into the chicken broth mixture. Pour the chicken broth mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish. Sprinkle with parsley, bay leaf, basil, cayenne pepper, and thyme. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the casserole in preheated oven until top bubbles, about 50 minutes. Remove the foil, and stir in the sour cream. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs evenly over the top. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 526 cal
- 19.9 g
- 52.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"My husband was intrigued by this recipe and he tried it. The flavor is good and savory, made me think of paella or arroz con pollo or something. HOWEVER, you should cook the brown rice first, prefer..." See moreably in the brothy liquid. He cooked the casserole an extra half hour and the rice still was crunchy. It makes me want to scratch my head: you cook everything else you put in this casserole, why not the rice??"
"Maybe with white rice this would have worked, but following the recipe exactly the rice is raw. If I would have cooked it any longer it would have burned up. ..." See more"
"As several people said, you MUST cook brown rice unless you are using Uncle Ben's or instant. Regular brown rice must cook for at 45 minutes with a cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid. This alone would ..." See moremake the recipe a 5 Star recipe. Knowing this, I loved it, but rated it based on the recipe as written, not on my dish. Also agree that putting the cheese on the side would make for better leftovers. Thanks for posting an excellent recipe. I would suggest changing the rice to say instant brown or showing it as cooked brown rice. But it is worth the work."
Homey Chicken and Rice Casserole
Campbell's Kitchen Chicken Noodle Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.