Amazing Southwest Cilantro Lime Mango Grilled Chicken Sandwiches97 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 40 min
“This is a recipe I came up with while trying to figure out what to do with stuff I had on hand. It was so good my husband asked me to publish it and share it with the world. Southwestern food is my specialty. It is especially good with the Fabulous French Loaves recipe on this site.” - by Patricia
Original recipe yields 8 sandwiches
- For the marinade: Place 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/4 jalapeno, lime zest, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl and stir until well combined. Place the chicken breast tenderloins in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken, seal, and shake the bag to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the salsa: Combine the tomato, 1 small onion, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/2 jalapeno, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, sea salt, 1/8 teaspoon chipotle pepper, and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To prepare the grilled vegetables, toss the onions and red peppers with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 clove garlic in a bowl; set aside.
- For the lime mayonnaise: Whisk together the mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of lime juice; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Grill the marinated chicken on the prepared grill until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, 8 to 10 minutes. Grill the red pepper and onions until tender and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and vegetables from the grill. Slice the grilled pepper into thin strips.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 1/2 teaspoons of prepared lime mayonnaise. Layer half of the pieces of bread with sliced mango, 1 tablespoon prepared salsa, grilled chicken tenderloins, grilled peppers, grilled onions, and a slice of Monterey Jack cheese. Top off the sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread. Return the sandwiches to the grill, turning when the bottom is golden brown
- Return the sandwiches to the grill and grill them until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts, about 2 minutes per side.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 555 cal
- 25.2 g
- 54 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (97)Rate This Recipe
"for flavor, this recipe definitely gets five stars, but for the complicated and time consuming directions I'm only going to give it four. Just mix the mangoes in with the salsa and instead of grilling..." See more the entire sandwhich just grill the bread alongside everything else. This recipe is also really good with fish, especially ahi. I also added wasabi to the mayo ( I used veggie mayo) and it was really yummy!"
"This is a lot of work, but worth it. My wife had serious doubts about it when I was working, but she loved it when we were done. I want to try it as a wrap or as a quesadilla with the mango on top m..." See moreaybe. Pretty messy to eat too. I will use the marinade for chicken often. I made it a second time as a filler during a rib cookoff and this time I made it as a quesadilla. It worked great and got rave reviews. Everyone liked it better than any of the ribs. The tortillas were a lot easier to work with than the french bread. The lime-mayo helped hold it all together."
"Well! I made this recipe as sort of challenge from friends from the Recipe Exchange (hi!) - we were all a bit intimidated by the ingredient/instruction list. This sandwich is delicious and COULD be re..." See moreally easy to make, but is a bit complicated as written. I will make this again, because the flavor is excellent, but I think I will make a chicken salad with most of the ingredients, skip the mayo and the cheese, and serve it cold on toasted french bread. Thanks for the recipe - great idea! ;)"
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken
Mango Cilantro Chicken with Truvia(R) Natural Sweetener
Just swipe to see more like this.