Beet, Orange and Apple Salad32 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“This is a colorful and delicious autumn salad.” - by Barrett
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Wash and dry beet roots and greens. Shred greens to measure 2 cups and set aside.
- Place beets in a sauce pan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Trim and peel off skins; cut into 8 wedges.
- Peel and section orange. In a bowl, combine orange sections, beets and apples.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. Pour over beet mixture and toss well.
- Arrange 1/2 cup beet greens on 4 salad plates. Top with beet mixture, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 165 cal
- 3.9 g
- 32.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (32)Rate This Recipe
"I made this for a dinner party of 16 and it was a resounding success. I followed the recipe exactly, but I later experimented and can make the following suggestions: 1. Instead of fresh oranges, use..." See more either canned mandarin oranges or fresh mango. 2. add some fresh arugula-- it's natural peppery taste really adds to the salad. 3. Slice the apples as thin as you possibly can. 4. Use spanish almonds or hazelnuts instead of sunflower seeds. 5. Use both golden and red beets. 6. Add some caramalized onions. To serve 16, I used one medium red onion sliced in 1/4" slices, brushed with olive oil, layered on a baking sheet and roasted in the oven at the same time I roasted the beets. It took about 15-20 minutes. The roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the onions, and they are not at all overpowering or onion-y. 7. Toss greens and the dressing, then add the beets and the warm ingredients at the last minute. 8. Don't make extra because this salad does not save well overnight. "
"This is a great summer salad. I grew some beets for the first time and had a couple of apples and an orange sitting around and this recipe was perfect! Light and wonderful in our summer heat. It we..." See morent perfect with a small stuffed flank steak and a glass of red wine."
"I used only one apple, and half the amount of garlic. I would cut the orange slices in half next time I make it - and double the amount of dressing to have extra. The greens were "dry" with the dres..." See moresing only on the fruits. Excellent yummy salad full of great antioxidants."
Roasted Beet, Avocado and Pistachio Salad
Just swipe to see more like this.