Mom's Authentic Kosher Cholent Recipe16 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 10 hr
- Ready In: 10 hr 40 min
“This is a very filling and hearty stew. It cooks slowly overnight for a minimum of 10 to 15 hours or more on a very low flame.” - by Sherrie D.
Original recipe yields 8 to 10 servings
- In a large oven safe pot or roasting pan, saute onions in oil over medium heat.
- Add meat, and brown well on all sides.
- Mix in beans; stir continuously until the beans start to shrivel. Stir in the barley. Add potatoes, and add just enough boiling water to cover the meat and potatoes. Mix in dry soup mix and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes on stove top.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Cover pot tightly, and place in preheated oven. Allow to cook overnight for at least 10 to 15 hours. Check periodically to make sure you have enough liquid to cover; add small amounts of water if needed. Do not stir; stirring will break up the chunks of potatoes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 1067 cal
- 49.2 g
- 98.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (16)Rate This Recipe
"Cholent is a staple in our homes for Saturday lunch!!! So easy and so quick. We use a crock pot and put it on low until the next morning...." See more"
"THIS WAS A GREAT RECIPE FOR OUR FIRST SABBATH FOR OUR FRIDAY EVENING MEAL. I USED MY CROCK POT. IT WENT SO WELL THAT I WENT OUT TO BUY ANOTHER CROCK POT SO I CAN HAVE THIS FOR OUR FRIDAY EVENING MEAL ..." See moreAND OUR SABBATH AFTERNOON MEAL. I HAVE 5 CHILDREN AND A GREEDY HUSBAND, THEY ALL LOVED IT AND WANT MORE. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! ;-)"
Mom's Hearty Beef Stew with Dumplings
Just swipe to see more like this.