Spicy Shredded Beef97 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“A good recipe for burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and all your favorite Tex-Mex foods. Freezes well in heavy duty plastic freezer bags.” - by Teresa
Original recipe yields 4 to 6 servings
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Brown beef cubes for 10 to 12 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the garlic, salt and cumin. Cook another 15 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add water to the skillet as needed to keep the mixture from boiling dry.
- When cooked very tender, cool, then shred the meat using 2 forks. Place back on heat and stir until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- If planning to freeze, cool before packing in freezer bags and placing in freezer.
- For soft burritos, top a warm flour tortilla with the meat mixture, salsa, and grated cheese.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 352 cal
- 27.3 g
- 4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (97)Rate This Recipe
"this recipe has been such a joy! i have a lot to say... 1. it is not that spicy even tho it's called "spicy shredded beef" so if you want spicy add hot sauce 2. definately don't over use the cumin....." See more.the called for amount is plenty. 3. i added 1/3 cup of sugar when i added the tomato sauce. this gave a hint of sweetness to the meat that was just divine 4. do be sure to add water as it cooks so it never gets dry. 5. cook for at least 2 hours...the longer the better and make sure you have a very tight fitting lid to keep moisture in i use this beef for so many things but a favorite in our home is the mexican dish machaca con huevo first i heat up a few tbsp of veg. oil then add sliced onion. cook this for a few minutes then add the shredded beef. simmer for 10 minutes. then add scrambled egg (the ratio of egg to beef is up to you but usually 1 egg per serving of beef is good) cook the scrambled egg with the beef for at least 10 minutes until the egg is fully cooked. serve with warm corn tortillas. this is to die for delicious! i highly recommend this recipe for so many things (tacos/enchiladas/machaca/burritos) it's just divine and so so simple "
"I loved this shredded beef! I could tell it wasn't going to be that spicy, so I added powdered cayenne pepper and chili powder along with the cumin. I used 4 garlic cloves instead of one, and I used d..." See moreiced tomatoes with green chiles. I only needed an hour and a half for the meat to become so tender that I almost didn't even need to shred it with forks. I served this on corn tortillas with all of the taco fixings. I love that this recipe only used a pound of meat, rather than the 3 or 4 pound roasts others use (with only two people eating, it makes it hard to finish what one of those recipes yields). This is so much better than ground beef!"
Spicy Crispy Beef
Spicy Mexican Beef
Just swipe to see more like this.