Smoky Mountain Chipotle Chicken55 Reviews
- Prep: 35 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 3 hr 55 min
“You will love this recipe if like your meals packed with intense flavor! This chicken has a smoky, spicy, sweet taste that my family raves about. We hope you and yours enjoy it also!” - by Janine
Original recipe yields 4 chicken breasts
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook and stir until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the bourbon, and simmer for 10 minutes. Have a lid ready to cover the skillet in case the bourbon catches fire.
- Pour in the cider vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl, and refrigerate until no longer hot, about 30 minutes.
- Season chicken breasts with grill seasoning, and place into a shallow glass dish. Pour all but 1 cup of the cooled sauce over the chicken breasts, and turn to coat. Refrigerate remaining sauce. Cover the chicken and refrigerate 2 hours. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, and set aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Drain marinade from the chicken and discard. Cook chicken on preheated grill, basting with reserved sauce, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, and the juices run clear, about 10 minutes per side. Meanwhile, brush onion slices with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Secure the rings with toothpicks to keep them from falling apart. Grill over indirect heat until soft, about 15 minutes.
- To serve, place chicken onto serving plates and top with a slice grilled onion, 2 slices of bacon and then a slice of provolone cheese. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 697 cal
- 21.9 g
- 59.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (55)Rate This Recipe
"Mmmmm...sooo good. I've been making a quick and easy version of Smoky Mtn. Chicken for years with just a bottled BBQ sauce. But this BBQ sauce was sooo good, and sooo worth the effort- and it was ac..." See moretually very little effort. I will make extra batches of the sauce and keep them on hand for all my BBQ sauce needs."
"ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! I didn't have any bourbon at the house, so....I used capt morgan (lol)...and it turned out suprisingly well :)..." See more"
"Delish, but I must confess. I misread the recipe and added 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce. It tasted great though. I made this twice in a row and still just could not get enough of it. The first ..." See moretime I made it without the cheese and bacon, the second time with it. It's much better with cheese and bacon!!"
Grilled Chipotle Marinated Chicken
Just swipe to see more like this.