Cuban Pork Roast I74 Reviews
“Black beans and rice are the logical accompaniment to this hearty pork roast. A salad of orange slices, red onion and arugula dressed with a tangy cilantro vinaigrette would be refreshing. If there are any leftovers, make media noches, the Cuban sandwiches that are made with Swiss cheese, ham and toasted egg bread in addition to roast pork.” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and peppercorns to the pan; stir constantly until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Cool.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush toasted spices with garlic, salt, and oregano to make a paste. You can also do this in the small bowl of a food processor. Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, sherry, and olive oil.
- Place the pork in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour citrus marinade over meat, and seal. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning the bag over occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Transfer pork and marinade to a roasting pan, and place in the oven. Roast for about 2 1/2 hours, basting with pan juices occasionally, or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center reads 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Add small amounts of water to the pan if it dries out. Transfer the pork to a carving board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 minutes. Carve, and serve.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 626 cal
- 49.3 g
- 4.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (74)Rate This Recipe
"Very traditional Cuban pork. I reduce the sherry and add 1/4 c white vinegar. I also slice a large onion and add that to the marinade. Works well roasted in the oven or in a crock pot. ..." See more"
"This did not turn out good for me. I sampled the "paste" of the cumin, etc. and it was delicious... but something happened after cooking. It turned more sour than flavorful. Maybe it was because I sl..." See moreow cooked for 6 hours (like some reviewers did) instead of BAKING 2-1/2 hours.?? I used a pork loin roast thinking it would be similar enough;maybe it wasn't. ?? I will give it another try without the crockpot and with the "pork shoulder tied roast"."
Simple Savory Pork Roast
Spicy Honey Mustard Pork Roast
Just swipe to see more like this.