Christmas Red Pickles17 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 2 hr 25 min
- Ready In: 1 day 15 hr 5 min
“These cinnamon-flavored sweet pickles are a bit like candied apples. Kind of time consuming but worth the time.” - by bobbi s.
Original recipe yields 10 pint jars
- Peel cucumbers, halve lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Cut the cucumber into 1/4 inch half circles, and place into a glass or ceramic crock. Dissolve the pickling lime in about 1 quart of room temperature water, pour over the cucumbers, then add additional water until the cucumbers are covered by 1/2 inch. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours.
- Drain the cucumbers and rinse well with cold water. Place into a large stockpot, and cover with cold water. Allow to stand for 3 hours, then drain and rinse again.
- Return the cucumbers to the pot, add the food coloring, alum, 1 cup vinegar, and enough water to cover by 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cook 2 hours. Once the cucumbers have cooked for 2 hours, drain and allow to cool a bit before placing into the glass or ceramic jar.
- Stir together sugar, 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, cinnamon red hot candies, and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar and candies dissolve. Pour this mixture over the warm cucumbers, cover, and let stand overnight.
- Pack pickles into pint jars, and process in a hot water bath for 15 to 20 minutes. Refrigerate any jars that do not seal.
Amount Per Serving (80 total)
- 85 cal
- 0 g
- < 1%
- 21.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (17)Rate This Recipe
"My great grandmother used to make these pickles for us every Christmas. They are unusual, but they taste incredible. This recipe is a perfect match to my grandmother's handwritten recipe from years ..." See moreago. They do take a while to make, but they are completely worth the time."
"I made these yesterday. I cut my pickles into spears and I didn't let them sit in the syrup overnight. I just canned them and put them in the waterbath. I figured they would be setting until the holid..." See moreays anyway. It was all I could do not to eat the syrup with a spoon. Thanks for a great recipe. 9/3 Update..I made another batch and this time I cut them in 1/2 moons. They are even more beautiful then the first time."
Red and Green Christmas Jalapeno Jelly
Bab's Bread and Butter Pickles
Just swipe to see more like this.