Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins123 Reviews
“Spicy whole wheat sweet potato muffins, great for breakfast or a snack, have an optional crunchy almond-oat topping. ” - by zanyzaynab
Original recipe yields 16 muffins
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 16 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners; set aside. Prick sweet potato several times with a fork and place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake the sweet potato in the preheated oven until easily pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. When the potato is cool enough to handle, peel and mash.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, the 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Stir in the vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, honey, yogurt, and mashed sweet potato, just until all ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Blend together the oatmeal, brown sugar, almonds, and the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a food processor or blender. Sprinkle topping over unbaked muffins.
- Bake muffins in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 12 to 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (16 total)
- 233 cal
- 6.9 g
- 41.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (123)Rate This Recipe
"i made the following substitutions, so these are very healthy: a combo of 1 c. blended oats & 1 c. whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil, reduced the honey to 1/2 c., milk instead of yogurt. a..." See morelso for the topping, cut all the ingredients in half, as i had way too much! this made 18 muffins and they cooked about 19 minutes. beautiful, sweet, and healthy!"
"Sweet mama potato! Healthy, with spice quantities are just low enough not to overwhelm the naturally mild and pleasant flavor of the sweet potato. This is the critical point. Five stars, if not for th..." See moree slightly high sweetness (and I'm a sugarholic). ALL kids will devour them. Busy/cheap people, try these variations: Quarter sweet potato and nuke for 8 minutes (check: skin pulls off easily when done, but tears when overdone) Trade honey for brown sugar. Don't feel bad skimping on either. These muffins are plenty sweet. Use 1/2 Cup skim milk instead of yogurt If cloves or ginger aren't handy, try allspice. Mash the potato with the oil, it makes it easier."
Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Poppy Seed and Banana Muffins
Just swipe to see more like this.