Grecian Baklava5 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 3 hr
“This is a great baklava recipe I've developed after eating many different types and styles of baklava. It's certainly worth the time it takes and makes a great breakfast or dessert.” - by schwintosky
Original recipe yields 36 pieces
- Make the syrup by bringing the water, 3/4 cup sugar, orange juice, honey, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter a 10x15 inch baking dish.
- Stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground walnuts until evenly blended; set aside.
- Press 2 sheets of phyllo into the prepared dish and brush with melted butter. Continue adding phyllo sheets brushed with butter two at a time until you have 12 sheets total. Sprinkle 1/3 of the walnut mixture evenly over the phyllo, then add another 6 sheets, buttering between every two. Sprinkle 1/2 of the remaining walnut mixture evenly over the phyllo; top with another 6 buttered phyllo sheets. Finally, sprinkle the remaining walnut mixture onto the phyllo. Place the remaining phyllo on top of the baklava, buttering every two sheets. Brush the remaining butter onto the top of the baklava.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the phyllo is golden brown and crispy, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven; pour the cooled syrup over the hot baklava. Cool to room temperature before cutting into 1-inch squares or diamonds to serve.
Amount Per Serving (36 total)
- 211 cal
- 11.3 g
- 27.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"This turned out great!! It is time consuming to prepare, but is well worth it. I would recommend cutting the baklava before baking it. That way when pouring the syrup, it coats every piece. Also, ..." See moreto save some time, once the baklava is baking make the syrup."
"More like the ones I had in the Greek coffee house when I went downstairs to get my Dad's Greek morning paper in Greektown, Chicago Ill. The orange juice gives it a more authentic taste and it was ..." See morealways made with walnuts I prefer no nutmeg and more cinnamon"
Just swipe to see more like this.