Kyle's Favorite Beef Stew291 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 7 hr 15 min
- Ready In: 7 hr 45 min
“My son calls this very-hearty beef stew 'world famous!' You will need a large slow cooker.” - by Heather G
Original recipe yields 5 quarts
- Toss the beef, flour, and salt in a sealable bag until the beef is coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine the beef and Worcestershire sauce in the skillet; cook until the beef is evenly browned on all sides; transfer to a slow cooker, but do not clean the skillet. Add the carrots, potatoes, parsley, and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Combine the boiling water and soup mix in a small bowl; add to slow cooker.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the melted butter until soft; transfer the onion and garlic to the slow cooker and return the skillet to the heat. Combine the wine and mushrooms to the skillet; cook until the mushrooms begin to absorb the wine; pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Place the cover on the slow cooker and set to High; cook for one hour. Reduce heat to Low and cook until the beef is fork-tender, 6 to 8 hours. Whisk together the warm water and cornstarch; stir into the stew; cook uncovered until stew thickens, about 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 617 cal
- 34.3 g
- 46.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (291)Rate This Recipe
"This turned out to be the best beef stew ever, but I gave it only 4 stars because of the alterations I had to use. I feel that some of the steps listed are unnecessary and take extra time (like boilin..." See moreg the water with the soup mix). I followed the instructions with the following changes: I added 2 C. beef broth (in place of water) and only 1 packet of the onion soup mix straight to the crock pot. I also cut the onion into very small pieces and only added about 1 1/2 med. sized onions. I also added 3 tbs. fresh chopped parsley instead of dried, and 1 tbs. of celery flakes. I think that fresh celery would go well also. I did not use mushrooms, and added the wine straight to the crock pot. Also added just a pinch of allspice (I always use it in beef dishes and it's GREAT!) and 1 bay leaf that I removed when it was done cooking. This is hearty and amazing! Next time I'll try red potatoes. I made an extra batch, put in frozen tupperware, and gave as homemade frozen meals for Christmas!"
"I am the one that is known for making reservations, not dinner itself. A friend turned me onto this site and I look for the 5 star ratings to try something out. When I made this, my husband remarked "..." See moreWhat did you do to this?" I didn't know how to respond so I just said nervously asked "Why?" He asked me what I laced it with because he had never tasted Stew so good in his life. He had 5 helpings that night, and took it to work every day that week. He never eats left overs EVER, so the fact he did the entire week was astounding. My husband is a very picky eater, and is afforded the luxury of eating in the finest eateries around town for lunch several times a week so it is HIGHEST praise coming from him. I went back to find the recipe again (stupidly did not save it to my box and erroneously made another recipe. Even tho it was rated 5 stars as well, it was not even close in flavor to this one. Miraculously, I printed out this recipe and just found it again. Whew!! Off to make it again tonight. When browning the beef, don't use a NON stick pan. The crusty stuff on the bottom is SO good and adds a great flavor to the end product. "
"Whew! This was a lot of work for a crockpot meal. I followed recipe to a "T" although I used more flour to dredge and didn't need the cornstarch at the end as there was plenty of gravy. After 1 hou..." See morer on high and 6 hours on slow meat was still tough so it needs 8 hours. Was good but needed more flavor so had to add spices at the end."
Mom's Hearty Beef Stew with Dumplings
Mo's Spicy Beef Stew
Just swipe to see more like this.