Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole33 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 39 min
- Ready In: 54 min
“This casserole is a hit with my whole family. Even my children enjoy eating their broccoli with this homemade meal.” - by Jill P
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add rotini pasta and cook until al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain, cover, and set aside until needed.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 1 cup broccoli; toss and cook just until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle broccoli with flour, and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Pour in the milk, and stir to blend. Season with salt, pepper, and chipotle pepper powder, if desired. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer mixture until sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Mix in 1 cup Cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in another large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, ground chicken, and remaining 1 cup of broccoli. Cook and stir until chicken is evenly browned and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, and cook until liquid is reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven broiler to High. Lightly grease 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Toss the pasta with the broccoli sauce until evenly blended. Stir in the sour cream, if desired. Stir the broccoli sauce mixture into the chicken mixture. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Cook under preheated broiler until cheese melts and browns around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 781 cal
- 38.3 g
- 65.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (33)Rate This Recipe
"Three stars as written (for the sheer heart-attack-waiting-to-happen-ness of it), a big FIVE STARS with alterations! As far as the sauce goes... I skipped the butter and reduced the oil by at least ha..." See morelf. I used less cheese than called for and split the cheese between mozarella and parmesan and used some red chili pepper flakes to spice it up. When it was time to add the sauce to the rest, I had to add a little more broth and milk to get the right consistency, but it tasted great, regardless. So far as the bulk of the recipe, I used tri-color veggie rotini, ground turkey, again FAR less oil than called for, and added in four cloves of garlic. My biggest change? For me, it remained a skillet casserole only! I did not take the final step of pouring it in a pan, adding even MORE cheese, and sticking it under the broiler. That step is simply unnecessary as it should be absolutely delicious straight from the frypan!!"
"Easy and good mid-week dinner. I hate making changes before reviewing a recipe, but I had to use fresh chicken breast. I diced the breast and browned it, then I added the broccoli and followed the rec..." See moreipe from there. I don't think there is a need to use two skillets, one worked fine for me. I also chopped the broccoli in the food processor, and I used more than called for. I didn't add the chili pepper, but I did use the sour cream. My picky 5-year-old ate it and my husband finished the leftovers the next day. I suggest adding fresh garlic. Next time I'm going to add celery and garlic with the chicken, and add carrots with the broccoli. "
"I had a hard time figuring out how I would rate this recipe. What I came up with is that it was way too much work to end up with a plain ole pasta and chicken dish. My husband and I both liked it an..." See mored we will be eating the huge amount of leftovers. We liked the spice but thought it might need some lime juice to finish the flavor. I also like the sorta low-fat easy sauce in the recipe, which I might use as a base for other recipes. Here's my main problem with the recipe- I make casseroles to cut down on cooking steps, casseroles are supposed to cook in the oven. This recipe still has you cook everything and then combine it and broil. I may as well have just eaten it out of the bowl once I mixed it all together, since it was already hot and everything was fully cooked. I sprinkled it with bread crumbs to make it more crispy, which I liked. "
Creamy Chicken Broccoli Noodles
Broccoli Chicken Casserole I
Just swipe to see more like this.