Belgian Endive au Gratin9 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 55 min
“Belgian endive (called 'witloof' in Dutch or 'chicon' in Belgian French) has an ivory-white head with pale yellow-edged, closely wrapped leaves, a mildly bitter flavor, and tender juicy texture.” - by gaidgin
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Place the endives into the water. Cover, and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the butter into a saucepan, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and golden brown. Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper until well blended. Cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Preheat an oven broiler to low.
- Drain the endives. Wrap each endive with a slice of ham, and place into the prepared baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the endives. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese and parsley.
- Cook the endives under preheated broiler until cheese is golden brown and sauce bubbles, about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 207 cal
- 10.1 g
- 20.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"Wonderful recipe. If you don't want your sauce to become too runny, cook your endives the day before, so they can drain well. I'm Belgian too and this is one of our favorite Belgian dishes. :-)..." See more"
A Forest Of Stars
"This recipe turned out exactly how my father always made it. I'm also Belgian, and it had been years since I've had this! It's AMAZING. Definitely one of my favorite meals ever. The sauce tastes amazi..." See moreng and complements perfectly with the flavor and texture of the endives. Will make over and over again! Thank you for posting this recipe. I will have my American friends try it ;)"
Spinach, Caramelized Onion, and Muenster Au Gratin Potatoes
Apple and Onion Salad Endive Spears
Just swipe to see more like this.