Rum Raisin Bread Pudding with Warm Vanilla Sauce12 Reviews
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“This easy recipe combines my favorite things in this world -- bread pudding, apples, raisins, vanilla, and rum! The sauce thickens atop the bread pudding, providing an attractive and delicious glaze. We never have leftovers!” - by CHICAGOCOOKS22
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch cake pan.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in the apple, raisins, 1 tablespoon rum, and pinch of cinnamon. Cook until the apples are soft. Toss apples with bread cubes, and spoon into prepared pan.
- Combine brown sugar, white sugar, 3/4 cup skim milk, evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until butter is melted. Allow to cool slightly and pour over bread cubes and apples.
- Whisk the eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and apples. Cover pan with aluminum foil; bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until pudding is puffed and lightly browned, about 10 additional minutes.
- While the pudding bakes, prepare the rum sauce. Whisk together 3 tablespoons skim milk and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Stir in 1 tablespoon rum and 1/4 cup white sugar; bring to a boil. Slowly add cornstarch mixture, stirring until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Pour rum sauce over warm pudding. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. The sauce will continue to thicken and form a beautiful glaze.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 353 cal
- 12 g
- 53.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (12)Rate This Recipe
"First, AR needs to change the title of this recipe because the submitter gives a you a rum sauce not a vanilla sauce to go with this bread pudding and I think I would have much preferred a vanilla sau..." See morece with this recipe. The bread pudding itself however is very good. I didn't have cinnamon raisin bread, so I used a whole cup of raisins and upped the amount of cinnamon to a whole Tbsp. I also added a bit of nutmeg. I doubled the amount of rum and used 2 apples that I thinly sliced and didn't bother cooking because they cook inside the bread pudding. I didn't have evaporated milk so I used 1 & 1/4 cup of half and half and 3 eggs. Make sure you use stale bread so as to not get things overly soggy (I used stale hoagie rolls). I used a 9 inch sprinform pan and put a baking sheet underneath during baking. The bread pudding is delicious and has a really nice rum flavor. The rum sauce however is not that good and really not necessary. I would use a vanilla sauce over top of this or just a a bit of whipped cream."
"This was delicious! I made some adjustments however. I used a whole loaf of Pepperidge Farms cinnamon raisin bread. I used the whole can of evaporated milk and 1/2 cup 1% milk=2cups. I added and ex..." See moretra egg and extra butter - 7 TBS. I doubled the sauce recipe, OMG it is soooo good. Side note - I used a Gala apple. My guests told me it was the best they'd ever had-I thought so too! It will be a holiday tradition for our family from now on."
Best Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
Coffee Liqueur Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.