Alpine Macaroni10 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 50 min
“This is a traditional Swiss dish served on the slopes of the Alps. I like to top it with chunky apple sauce and crunchy onions to serve.” - by Shannon B
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and cook until tender enough to pierce with a fork. Drain and cool slightly, then remove the peels, and slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until barely tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until onion starts to turn translucent. Stir in the garlic, and cook for a few more minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Layer the macaroni, onions and potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the shredded Gruyere cheese over the top, and drizzle cream evenly over the entire dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 493 cal
- 19.4 g
- 66.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (10)Rate This Recipe
"Hi - this is my recipe but I think the folks at allrecipes.com altered it a bit. The cheese should be increased as one of you mentioned - and the chunky applesauce and crunchy onions on top are a mus..." See moret for flavor!! Hope this helps :) - Shannon"
"I thought this was good! Maybe a little bland...next time I will use 1 cup of Gruyere AND 1 cup of Emmentaller cheese, plus lots of salt and pepper! There were a lot of onions as is, but i did top wit..." See moreh applesauce to serve..yummy!! "
Danny's Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese from So Delicious(R)
Just swipe to see more like this.