Kabocha Squash Pie (Japanese Pumpkin Pie)2 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“Kabocha, a Japanese winter squash, tastes a bit like sweet potato as well as pumpkin so you can enjoy a bit of both!” - by lilyumestar
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir the graham cracker crumbs together with the flour in a mixing bowl. Mix in the soy butter until the mixture is crumbly. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour in the soy milk, and stir to make a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Fit the crust into a 7 inch diameter pie plate. Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven until pale gold, about 15 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- Pour about 1 inch of water into the bottom of a pan. Place the kabocha into a steamer basket fitted into the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and steam the squash until tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Place the kabocha into a blender or bowl of a food processer, and blend until smooth. Stir the tofu, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the kabocha mixture, and blend until very smooth. Pour into the prepared crust.
- Bake in preheated oven until center is set, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake or the filling will crack.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 137 cal
- 3.3 g
- 23.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"Make sure you get the right kind of tofu. It was still amazing but texture was off. I didnt get the right tofu. :D..." See more"
"I thought this was a great autumn treat. As I am trying to keep my sodium and sugar intake to an all time low, I made a couple substitutions. Instead of sugar, I used 2 Tbsp of molasses, and a quarter..." See more cup of honey. I also added a quarter cup of whole wheat flour to the filling as well as 2 small eggs. I ended up having to bake it for 40 minutes total but it turned out great. My 4 year old asked for more pumplin pie with ice cream!"
Grandma's Sweet Hubbard Squash Custard Pie
Tofu Pumpkin Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.