Lemon Meringue Pie II9 Reviews
“A traditional lemon meringue pie, made entirely from scratch.” - by Cathy
Original recipe yields 1 pie
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a small bowl mix cold water and cornstarch to a thin paste. In a medium saucepan bring hot water and sugar to a boil, then add cornstarch paste. Transfer this mixture to a double boiler. Cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Whisk a small amount of this mixture into egg yolks, then whisk egg yolk mixture back into double boiler. Cook everything together for a few minutes longer, continuing to stir. Mix in juice and rind of 1 lemon along with butter. Set custard aside to cool.
- In a medium glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites while gradually adding sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. When egg whites hold a stiff peak, beat 1 teaspoon lemon juice into meringue.
- Pour filling into baked pie shell. Spread meringue over lemon filling.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until delicately browned.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 330 cal
- 8.3 g
- 62.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"The lemon filling should be tart, not sweet, this pie was a waste of money and time, a big dissappointment, it was just nothing but a big sugar pie... yuk!..." See more"
"Being a chef I saw that the sugar was too much. I make it with only 1 cup of sugar and baked meringue at 375 for only 6 min. great pie. I also make it with 1 1/2 cups sugar but added one more egg and ..." See morea 1/4 cup more lemon juice. Great pie and the meringue is higher.325 is too low for a meringue to brown."
Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie
Old Fashioned Lemon Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.