Chocolate Meringue Pie48 Reviews
“This pie will delight chocolate lovers! My husband's family has enjoyed it at get togethers for many years.” - by Carol Hudson
Original recipe yields 1 pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- To Make Chocolate Custard: In a large saucepan or double boiler combine 1 cup of sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Mix well, then stir in egg yolks and milk. Whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has the consistency of pudding.
- Stir vanilla extract and butter or margarine into custard. Pour mixture into baked pie shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a medium glass or metal bowl whip egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Spread meringue over chocolate custard, covering completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 6 minutes, until meringue is golden brown. Chill before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 260 cal
- 8.7 g
- 42.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (48)Rate This Recipe
"The pie was very good but since I've worked in kitchens all my life I knew that this recipe needed some tweaking. when making the meringue the recipe doesn't specifically tell you how many egg whites...." See more and two will hardly do the job if you like meringue. If I am going to go through the trouble of making this masterpiece I want it to be spectacular. so I used 5 egg whites. if you've never made anything with stiff egg whites. whip them like crazy. make sure they are stiff peaks, you should be able to turn the bowl upside down with out them so much as moving. The meringue will fail if you do not get the whites whipped correct. I did not have a problem with the filling it was very good. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is the issue of the egg whites. that was quite confusing in the recipe especially if someone has never made anything like this. These are fun pies to make! good luck and good eating!"
"I made this pie tonight, I haven't tasted the finished product, however, the chocolate custard is very good. One BIG note, however, if you are trying to fill a 9" pie crust you MUST TRIPLE the recip..." See moree. I wound up making 2 batches, one regular (which only filled about 1/2" of the bottom of the crust) and one double batch. Tripled this recipe fills the pie to the edge of the crust."
"I ended up having to triple this recipe to fill the pie crust. I added extra egg whites because we like our meringue piled high. The pie tasted good and I will make this again. I gave it 3 stars on..." See morely because I had made and poured the first batch before I realizes that I would need more filling."
Double Chocolate Pie
Chocolate Pie I
Just swipe to see more like this.