Toasted Coconut Cream Pie3 Reviews
- Prep: 35 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 day 1 hr 10 min
“This pie is made especially heavenly by the addition of brandy and apricot glaze.” - by econo1943
Original recipe yields 1 10-inch pie
- Pour the milk into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the milk and set it aside to soften.
- Combine the egg yolks and 5 tablespoons sugar in a heat-proof mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer or a whisk until the mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water on the stove and cook, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. The mixture should feel hot to the touch and have reached 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) on an instant-read thermometer.
- Mix in the gelatin and milk and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl and stir in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Combine the egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/3 cup sugar in a heat-proof mixing bowl. Whisk the mixture slightly, just to break up the egg whites. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water on the stove. Heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the egg white mixture is hot to the touch and has reached 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) on an instant-read thermometer. Immediately remove the bowl from the heat and whip with an electric mixer until the meringue forms soft peaks.
- Fold the meringue into the custard mixture. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Brush the bottom and sides of the baked pastry shell with melted apricot jam.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the brandy and continue to whip until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the custard and spoon it into the pie shell. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast it in the oven until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle coconut over the pie before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 472 cal
- 33.1 g
- 33.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"I have actually never made this exact recipe, but I use it as a base to make sugar-free banana cream pies for my dad. It works WONDERFULLY. I simply replace the sugar with Splenda and the vanilla w..." See moreith banana extract,a drop or two of yellow food coloring, then pour the filling over sliced bananas in a sugar-free cookie crumb crust. Chill it and top it with sweetened whipped cream. My dad LOVES it and after tasting it, my aunt asked for the recipe so she can make it for my uncle, who is diabetic. If you know how to make a custard, this recipe is practically fool-proof and HIGHLY adaptable. 5 stars!!"
"Excellent, very rich. The only change I made was to incorporate 1-1/2 cups of the coconut (untoasted) into the custard filling, followed by the egg whites and whipped cream. Sprinkled the remaing co..." See moreconut (toasted) on top of the pie before serving. Will definitely make again!"
Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
Fluffy Blueberry Cream Pie with Toasted Coconut
Just swipe to see more like this.