Turtle Cookies II8 Reviews
“This is a tasty butter cookie, rolled in nuts, filled with caramel, and coated with chocolate. I won a local baking contest with these. Everyone loves them! You can fill the cookies with caramel apple dip instead of caramel ice cream topping. Works great!” - by Jadcock
Original recipe yields 24 cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in the vanilla, then the flour.
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, roll the balls in the egg whites, then roll them in the chopped pecans. Place the cookies 1 1/2 inches apart on an unprepared cookie sheet. Using your finger, make an indention in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottom of cookies are lightly browned.
- When the cookies come out of the oven fill the indentions with the caramel filling, and let cool. Pour about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of chocolate over each cookie to cover the caramel center. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 429 cal
- 26.4 g
- 44.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"These are good, but I had to make a few changes to the recipe, and alter things along the way. Even when you indent the cookie, it will still flatten out a lot. On my first batch, it looked like n..." See moreone had been indented at all. While the cookies were still warm, I used the back of a measuring spoon (I have the rounded kind) to make a hollow in the center. I also baked these at a higher temperature - 375 degrees - for 13 minutes. The edges of the cookies were just starting to brown. When I baked for 15 minutes at 325, they weren't browning at all. Warning - be careful when filling with caramel sauce. I overdid it on most of mine and the caramel started running off the cookie. I also did my chocolate topping a little differently (used the chocolate glaze recipe from the "Carmelitas" recipe submitted by Terri). A little too much caramel and chocolate has made for some messy cookies! Oh, I also didn't roll in pecans. Can't think of anything else at the moment. I'll know more tomorrow when they set up a bit more and are (hopefully) enjoyed at my neice's christening."
"I made this for my mom and dad and they looooved them.They were really good...." See more"
Snappy Turtle Cookies
Pecan Turtle Bars
Just swipe to see more like this.