Green Sauce Enchiladas61 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“These are the best chicken enchiladas you will ever have! I created this recipe one day by accident, and it's now a family favorite. Try it, you won't be disappointed!” - by smooch
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- In a large skillet, saute rice with butter or margarine. Add chicken broth and simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked and tender. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cube 3/4 pound of the cheese; shred the remaining 1/4 pound cheese and set aside. Combine chicken, 3/4 pound cubed cheese, corn, cooled rice and 1/4 cup sauce in a large bowl. Mix together. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 2 minutes and spread another 1/4 cup sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place a little of the chicken mixture on each tortilla and roll up. Place filled tortillas (as many as will fit) in the baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 pound shredded cheese and top with any remaining sauce, pouring evenly over all. (Freeze remaining tortillas for future green sauce enchiladas!)
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 647 cal
- 29.4 g
- 64.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (61)Rate This Recipe
"I'm a very experienced cook. I thought this recipe was very blah. It's almost a waste of calories because the 3/4 lb. of cubed cheese doesn't translate into a sumptious, cheesy enchilada. It cooks too..." See more hard and runs out of the enchilada. I think a way to improve this recipe would be to increase the amount of green sauce, to reduce the cooking time, or to reduce the cooking heat. I think if I do this again, I will also add some jalapeno pepper into the filling because, as it's right now, it's so non-distinct. The flavoring inside the tortilla is the same as outside, so it all comes out tasting the same."
"This was the best enchiladas I have ever had. My fussy children loved it, too. I also made some changes to the recipe: I marinated the chicken in lime juice, chili powder, garlic, salt, pepper, diced ..." See moregreen chilis and jalapenos (one small can each), and a bit of tequila for a few hours before cooking. I used shredded mexican jack in each tortilla instead of adding to total mixture and I used 3 cans of green enchilada sauce. I also slow sauteed diced jalapenos and serrano chilis in olive oil and served over the top (taste buds permitting). Thanks Dawn, and all the others who have helped make this a terrific dish. Ole!"
Cottage Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
Just swipe to see more like this.