Chocolate Shoofly Pie5 Reviews
“A heavenly delicious Shoofly Pie with a gooey bittersweet chocolate bottom to it. I must give credit to a person I've never met, Ms. Ivy Smink, for her recipe for Shoofly Pie. I've had many a Shoofly Pie before. This is the most authentic in flavor that I've ever tasted. God Bless her for sharing it with us. Serve this pie with homemade vanilla bean ice cream and a hot cup of coffee or tea, snuggled up by the fireplace with someone you love. It's like going to heaven, yet it's a devilish good time.” - by COCINERO99
Original recipe yields 1 pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, mix together flour and brown sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture for topping the pie.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, molasses, cold water, and remaining crumb mixture. Mix thoroughly. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to molasses mixture. Mix well.
- Spread chocolate chips across bottom of pastry-lined pie pan. Pour filling over chocolate chips. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until filling is set.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 439 cal
- 14 g
- 76.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe has been updated to include the beaten egg in Step 3 - The Staff 5/29/01..." See more"
"I am very dissapointed in this recipe, it overflowed and there was way too much filling for a 9 inch pie crust, also you didn't state when to add the beaten egg so I assumed to place it in the molasse..." See mores mixture. Not a recipe I would use again!"
"I never had a shoofly pie before. Actually I never even heard about it. The recipe sounded so strange to me, I never thought it will turn out to be something eatable. But I love experimenting and tr..." See moreied it. Guess what! It turned out GREAT! Next time I will add some cocoa to the filling! Thanks! Babs Baum from Germany "
Shoofly Pie III
My Grandma's Shoo-Fly Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.