Traditional Swedish Pepparkakor6 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 5 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“These thin, crispy spice cookies are a Christmas tradition in Sweden. They're usually cut into heart, flower or star shapes. Dusting your cookie cutters with flour will make it easier to cut the dough.” - by Eal
Original recipe yields 100 servings
- Sift the flour together with the baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and cardamom in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the butter together with the white and brown sugars in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and corn syrup until smooth. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until evenly blended. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and wrap tightly each with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Using 1 portion at a time, work on a floured surface and roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutter, and place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until set, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered tins.
Amount Per Serving (100 total)
- 47 cal
- 1.9 g
- 7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe needed some tweaking. There was not near enough corn syrup to get the dough to stick--it was "sandy". I added about 2/3 cup and that was adequate, but from looking at other recipes I thi..." See morenk you could add closer to 3/4 to 1C and still be fine. My spice additions were at least doubled and I used as follows: 2 tsp cloves, 1T cinnamon, 2tsp Cardamom, 1T ginger, and I will add more Ginger next time as I like them zingy. WITH those changes, it was a good recipe. "
"I followed this recipe to the letter and had no problems with it. The dough is super hard out of the fridge but I worked it a bit with my hands then rolled it out just fine. A lot of flour helped in..." See more making it roll out super thin and I didn't have any problems with crumbling until it started to warm up. They were exactly the cookies I was looking for. I only gave it 4 stars because if I make it again, I will definately double the spices. I like my spice cookies to be really strong and these are pretty mild as is."
Swedish Angel Crisps
Swedish Ground Almond Spritz Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.