Coconut Cream Pie V7 Reviews
“This is very rich. If needed, the richness can be cut down by decreasing the sugar. You can also turn this into a chocolate coconut cream pie by using the optional cocoa powder in the ingredients.” - by Jackie Smith
Original recipe yields 1 pie
- Preheat oven to broiler setting.
- To Make Coconut Custard: In a large saucepan combine 2 cups sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add cocoa powder if desired. Mix well. Pour in 3 cups of the milk. Stir well and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture comes to a boil.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining 1 cup of milk with beaten egg yolks in a medium bowl. When mixture on stove thickens, add 1/2 cup of it to egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until thoroughly combined.
- Pour egg yolk mixture back into sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Bring mixture back to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Remove mixture from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla, and coconut. Set aside.
- To Make Meringue: Place reserved egg whites in a large metal or glass mixing bowl. Beat until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar, a little at a time, beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- Pour custard into baked pie shell. Spread meringue over custard, covering completely.
- Place pie under preheated broiler. Bake 5 minutes, or until meringue is golden. Chill before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 496 cal
- 14.2 g
- 86.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"DID NOT SET! I followed the directions to a "t", even thickening the custard more than recommended . . . I ended up with a nice crust, great meringue and coconut soup inside. I suspect that the re..." See morecipe needs only 3 cups TOTAL of milk. Using the suggested amount is too much for the amount of cornstarch, sugar and egg to handle. Also, the filling is REALLY sweet. I think it needs about half to three-quarters of the sugar."
"I just tried this recipe for the first time. I'm not sure whether it will set up or not. One reason is the recipe call for one pie. I had enough for two pies. The pie is cooling now. If it doesn'..." See moret set up, I will let you know. It look like a great recipe, and taste great. Thanks, Joe Woodard"
Coconut Cream Pie
Coconut Cream Pie IV
Just swipe to see more like this.