Tres Leches Cake210 Reviews
“This is a part dry, part moist Mexican cake made with three types of milk. It is a sweet and delicious treat!” - by Monica
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until light in color and doubled in volume. Stir in milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until firm but not dry. Fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen edge of cake with knife before removing side of pan. Cool cake completely; place on a deep serving plate. Use a two prong meat fork or cake tester to pierce surface of cake.
- Mix together condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream. Discard 1 cup of the measured milk mixture or cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining milk mixture over cake slowly until absorbed. Whip the remaining whipping cream until it thickens and reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake with whipped cream and garnish with cherries.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 642 cal
- 33 g
- 75 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (210)Rate This Recipe
"This is a basic sponge cake recipe soaked in a milk mixture. A succesful sponge cake requires proper treatment of the egg, at every step. The egg whites form the body or lightness of the cake. It ..." See moreis extremely important to properly fold the whites into the batter. Too much folding and you have a flat cake. Too little folding and you will have "chewy" pieces from unincorporated egg white. The 1/4 c. granulated sugar should be added to the egg whites before whipping, as sugar helps build peaks, prevents overbeating, and dissolves in liquid egg. I don't know why some reviewers thought white sugar meant powdered sugar, but sponge cakes are made with granulated sugar. I substituted cake flour (1 c. + 2 T.), added a pinch of salt, and the cake was great."
"Maybe I am the only cook that does not know this, but this recipe should call for CONFECTIONOR'S SUGAR, not to be confused with granular sugar which is obviously white too--I am new to the cooking sc..." See moreene, but this info would have been nice to know."
"I took this cake to a Cinco De Mayo party. I looked at all the tres leches cake recipes on this website, and I decided to try this one. I was not dissapointed. Everyone raved about it. I did subst..." See moreiture Fresh strawberries with the cherries, so it was like a super moist strawberry shortcake. Even my kids loved the "strawberry cake" My 2 yr old son actually ate his own piece, and then tried to steal mine. I definatly recommend this cake. There is no excess run off of liquid like the others cakes listed on this web site. Try it, you'll like it."
Pastel de Tres Leches (Three Milk Cake)
Tres Leches III
Just swipe to see more like this.