Warm Apple Buttermilk Custard Pie111 Reviews
“Homey, sweet, custardy pie NOT like Grandma's.” - by NEONWILLIE
Original recipe yields 1 pie
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- To Make Apple Filling: Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in skillet over medium heat. Add apple, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until tender. Set aside.
- To Make Buttermilk Custard: In a large mixing bowl combine 1/4 cup softened butter or margarine with 1 1/3 cups white sugar. Beat until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until yellow disappears. Mix in vanilla, then 2 tablespoons flour. Combine thoroughly, then pour in buttermilk, beating until smooth.
- Fit pastry into pie pan and prick with a fork. Spoon apple mixture into crust, then pour buttermilk custard over it.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- To Make Streusel Topping: While pie is baking, combine 1/4 cup white sugar, brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly.
- Remove pie from oven after 30 minutes and sprinkle streusel topping over custard. Return to oven and bake for an additional 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 1 hour before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 549 cal
- 23.9 g
- 80.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (111)Rate This Recipe
"Good flavor but WAY too sweet, even though I cut back on the sugar after reading the reviews. I used 1 cup of sugar in the custard, and scant measurements of the other sugars. Also, the butter is not ..." See moreneeded with cooking the apples. I only used 1 Tablespoon and it was fine, and the next time I make this i will either use 1/2 tablespoon or maybe none at all."
"I made a few tweaks and the pie turned out very well. I softened the granny smiths in half the sugar and no butter. I used only one cup sugar in the custard and omitted the topping. mmmm, so good!..." See more"
"Saturday night I won an apple pie baking contest at Pumplefest 2006 with this pie!! It is soooo yummy! I have another one in the oven right now because I didn't really get to have any! The only thing..." See mores I changed were adding a little extra apples (beware the custard will make it overflow if you add more than the rec. 2 apples) and I split all the cinn with some nutmeg, too. :) It was a clear crowd favorite and so easy to make! Thanks!!"
Caramel Apple Pie II
Chemical Apple Pie (No Apple Apple Pie)
Just swipe to see more like this.