Meringue I20 Reviews
“This meringue is made with a sugar syrup and is stabilized by cornstarch. More durable than most meringues. Can be used to top 1 pie, or can be piped onto a baking sheet to make 'nests.'” - by Jackie Smith
Original recipe yields 2 cups
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (225 degrees C).
- In a small saucepan combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Mix well then whisk in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat until soft mounds form. Gradually add 5 tablespoons sugar, beating well after each addition.
- Continue to beat egg white mixture while slowly pouring in cornstarch syrup. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue on top of pie, or pipe desired shapes onto parchment-lined baking sheet using a large pastry tip.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 57 cal
- 0 g
- < 1%
- 12.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (20)Rate This Recipe
"I gave this recipe a 2 for sending cooks down the wrong path. You are not looking for your corn starch, water, and sugar to turn into a clear 'syrup'. You are looking for a 'gel' instead. Make sure yo..." See moreur mixer is on high when adding the 'gel' in. If you see the consistency get soupy, that means your 'gel' was not thick enough. Apply your 'gel' liberally into your whipped egg whites to keep the airy peaks. Make sure also to whip your egg whites away from your oven and do not try to do a meringue in high humidity or foggy days unless you want soupy results."
"Don't know what I did wrong. My "syrup" was thick with no possibility of pouring. I added it in and it did not disperse into the egg white mix, so I ended up with countless tiny lumps-like poorly m..." See moreade gravy. I've looked so long for a great meringue recipe, so will try it again with my next lemon pie. Any hints on what I did wrong would be appreciated."
"I have never made meringue that satisfied me as best as this one did. it was perfect. did not shrink, get thin, run or disappear, plus it cut without pulling off of the pie. i will use this recipe fro..." See morem now on. thanks, you made my long time waiting for the perfect recipe worth it."
Lemon Meringue Pie II
Just swipe to see more like this.