Chocolate Scotch Whiskey Cake11 Reviews
“Made with German's sweet chocolate, raisins, whiskey and almonds. Best if made a day in advance, and it gets better the longer it sits.” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch springform pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine raisins and scotch whiskey and set aside. Cut a round of parchment paper the size of the bottom of the cake pan. Butter the sides of the pan and one side of the paper. Then lay the paper, butter side up, in the pan and dust thoroughly with flour.
- Place 7 ounces chocolate in the top of a double boiler with 3 tablespoons of water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup butter in small pieces. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is a pale creamy yellow. Combine with the chocolate mixture. In a small bowl, combine the flour and the ground almonds and add to the batter. Stir in the raisins and whiskey.
- In a clean large bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff but not dry. Stir a third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, then fold all back into the remaining egg whites. Pour the cake mixture into the pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. The outside should be firm, but the center should remain moist. Let the cake sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then unmold it on a cake rack and let it cool for a few hours or overnight. Peel off the paper before icing it.
- To make the frosting: Melt 3 ounces chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Stir in the confectioners sugar and then 3 tablespoons butter a little at a time. Blend well and spread immediately on the cake. Allow icing to set for about half an hour before serving the cake.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 366 cal
- 24.5 g
- 34 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"DELICIOUS!!! I'm glad I made this cake for my whiskey loving guy...I made a couple of changes: I didnt grind the almonds quite as finely as I was supposed to, I left out the raisins, I added a small s..." See morecoop of semi sweet choc chips in addition to the german chocolate. I made whip cream from this site and added whiskey to it =) yum..it added a nice light touch to the dense chocolate cake, AND I made chocolate ganache from this site (added whiskey to that too) instead of the topping the recipe suggested...Dont be afraid of the whiskey taste being too overpowering..chocolate and whskey are the BEST combination!!! We loved this cake.."
"Formidable! I think the origin of the chocolate squares is not as important as the percent of cacao in them. Could be German or other as long as it is high. I used chocolate with 64% cacao. There's a ..." See moreproblem though with the recipe converter: - 4.5 tablespoons of cake flour equals 67,5 grams (and not 40 gr).; - 2/3 cups ground almonds equals 80 grams (and not 95 gr)."
Jan's Chocolate Cake
Moist Chocolate Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.