Vegetable Cornish Pasties14 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“A meatless version of a traditional favorite.” - by Viv Bearpark
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Divide pastry dough into four equal portions and roll each one out in a square shape. Set pastry aside to rest.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter or margarine and allow to melt. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes, until translucent and beginning to brown. Add carrot, turnip, potato, mushrooms, and water. Lower heat and cover skillet. Allow mixture to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast extract in milk. Whisk in 1 egg. Stir this mixture into cooked vegetables. Continue to stir until mixture thickens. Add cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Place 1/4 of filling on one half of each pastry square. Fold pastry diagonally and seal edges. Brush tops of pastry with beaten egg.
- Place pasties on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 687 cal
- 44.7 g
- 55.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"Awesome recipe! My husband and I have made this one many, many times. We use just potatoes, onions and carrots for the veg... tastes exactly like the ones I've had in Cornwall. I always get complim..." See moreents on this recipe! Note on putting them together: For a true pasty shape, cut the dough into circles and put the filling in the center, leaving lots of room all around. You need less filling than you think! Then fold the dough over the filling so you have a semi-circle. Fold the bottom dough up over the top and press your thumb in all around to create indentations and seal in the filling. This creates the thick crust that Cornish miners would hold onto when eating them (they then threw the crust away!)."
"Great flavour - I got lazy on the following... I used ready made frozen puff pastry. I also left out the mushrooms & cheese (vegies alone give enough flavour for me). I used a food processor to grate ..." See moreall the vegetables together, making prep a breeze. Perfect amount for four pasties THANKS."
Just swipe to see more like this.