- Prep: 1 day 1 hr 20 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 day 1 hr 50 min
“Sufganiot (doughnuts) filled with sweet cheese or preserves. Perfect for Hanukkah. For a change from cheese-filled suphganiot, inject some with teaspoons of jam.” - by Rachel
Original recipe yields 24 doughnuts
- Dissolve the yeast and 2 tablespoons white sugar in the warm milk.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, butter, and remaining sugar. Stir flour into center. Once combined turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface knead until dough is elastic. Cover and let dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 2-inch rounds. Cover and let rise for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, egg, 3 tablespoons white sugar, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Form dough rounds into a ball and insert about 2 teaspoons of cheese filling into each of the rounds.
- In a heavy pot, pour in oil to about the 2 1/2 inch mark. Heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drop sufganiot (doughnuts) into the oil in batches, turning when browned. Drain on paper towels and roll in confectioners' sugar.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 420 cal
- 38.8 g
- 16.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"excellent! And easy to follow recipe. Thanks so much for sending this in. My family has a new Chanukah tradition...." See more"
"Of course you can fill sufganiot with cheese for Chanukah, remember the story of Judith the heroine? she used cheese, because of that cheese is one of the ingridients used in Chanukah. Now, I agree in..." See more filling the sufganiot after is been fried. Thanks Rachel for this recipe!"
Erin's Canadian Fried Dough
Just swipe to see more like this.