Caramel Apple Pie II249 Reviews
“This is a gooey sweet pie that tastes best warm. Microwave reheats well!” - by Emtmom
Original recipe yields 1 pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To Make Taffy: In a small bowl combine brown sugar, melted butter or margarine, and 1/3 cup flour. Mix well and set aside.
- To Make Apple Filling: Place apples in a large bowl. Add white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Toss until all ingredients are mixed well and apples are thoroughly coated.
- Spoon half of apple filling into pastry-lined deep-dish pan. Top with half of caramels and half of taffy mixture. Repeat process with remaining apple filling, caramels and taffy mixture. Place top pastry over filling and seal well (this is very important--if edges are not sealed, caramel will leak out all over). Cut steam vents and brush top crust with milk or light cream.
- Cover pie with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil from pie and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 546 cal
- 21.4 g
- 87.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (249)Rate This Recipe
"Everyone at my house loved this pie last year at Christmas. I was disappointed though, it was extremely runny. I am going to make it again this year, I am just going to cut back on the liquids. Even w..." See moreith it being runny though, it was very good! UPDATE: after a few more years I think I have it perfected. Here's some of my hints: mix the apples you use (I use granny smith and jonathan apples- granny smith is important to control the sweetness). Cut down on the sugar and butter. Add an extra tbl or so of flour. With these changes the pie is no longer runny... Its just YUMMY"
"This pie was incredibly delicious!...the filling was PERFECT..it didnt run out of the pie and definitly was perfect thickness. I did do a few things different considering reviews bout it being doughy/..." See morerunny and i found that..its better to add 1 extra tablespoon of flour to that 3 tbsp of flour...just to thicken up the caramel. If your worried bout the pie getting doughy..prick forkholes all over pie and pre-bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. I also didnt use caramels...i used caramel dip and poured half the apples into the pie..then half of the caramel..then the apples and caramel again. I reduced the white sugar by half so the pie wasnt overkill on the sweet side and it was perfect. Also if you like ALOT of apples in your pie..use a cup more of apples. Instead of the top being a pastry (i thought would be a little bland) i used a great streusle topping ive been using on apple pies for years..heres the recipe if you want to use it too. make Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 c brown sugar, 3/4 c oats, and 1 tea lemon peel. Mix thoroughly, then cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. pour over pie before baking and pat to seal ..make sure there are no openings where filling can seep through. bake, halfway till pies done..put tin foil on top and over edges of crust."
"This recipe has become a family favorite. I've been making this for several years and have tweaked the recipe with the following adjustments: I use six cups of Granny Smith apples (usually seven apple..." See mores) and 1/4 cup of flour. As for the caramels, I highly recommend Abdallah Vanilla Cream Caramels. These caramels are much softer than most caramels and are easy to cut into small pieces. I also sprinkle the top crust with sugar after brushing with milk. Bake the pie in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 30-35 minutes until golden brown. As a result of these changes, the pie is not too sweet and not runny. "
Caramel Apple Cranberry Pie
Hannah's Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.