Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake39 Reviews
“I like to serve this shortcake on Valentine's Day. It's really good and looks nice on the table. I have had this recipe for over 40 years.” - by Login
Original recipe yields 10 to 12 servings
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease two 9 inch layer pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter or margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, mixing until just moistened. Spread batter evenly into two prepared layer pans.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar. Let the mixture stand 10 minutes.
- Cover the bottom shortcake layer with half of strawberry mixture and half of the whipped topping. Top with second shortcake layer, remaining strawberry mixture and whipped topping. Drizzle with chocolate topping.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 375 cal
- 19 g
- 49.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (39)Rate This Recipe
"I think some of the people who were not happy with this recipe might be confused about what "shortcake" is. Maybe they were expecting "cake". Shortcake is supposed to be more like a biscuit or scone. ..." See moreI think this is a really good recipe, though you're doing it a big disservice if you use frozen whipped topping instead of real whipped cream on top!"
"Looks beautiful, tastes delicious. I had a hard time cutting it. It was falling all over the place. I had large strawberries, so the slices were huge. I would probably cut the strawberries in quar..." See moreters first and then slice. And do not add chocolate topping until right before you serve it, otherwise it melts on top of it and looks stupid. I definately recommend this recipe to anyone who loves a strawberry shortcake."
Red, White and Blue Strawberry Shortcake
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
Just swipe to see more like this.