Swedish Apple Cake5 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“This wonderful, moist cake was a childhood favorite. The brown sugar topping perfectly sets off the apples and spices.” - by Laura
Original recipe yields 9 servings
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- To make the cake, cream the sugar and shortening together in a mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a second bowl. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Fold in the apples and walnuts until evenly blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- To make the topping, place the milk, margarine, and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to dissolve the brown sugar, and cook until the margarine melts. Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a baking sheet to prevent spillovers. Pour the topping over the cake.
- Return the cake and baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Amount Per Serving (9 total)
- 551 cal
- 19.5 g
- 92.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (5)Rate This Recipe
"The cake should be baked for 40 minutes BEFORE adding the topping. Please bake an additional 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold. ..." See more"
"This cake is SOOOOO GOOOOD!!! it is very important to cut the apple pieces pretty small or the cake will fall apart when you cut into it. I've made this 3 times already, and all my friends and family ..." See morekeep askin for more! I also tried it with dried fruit and it was very good. Thanks! "
Apple Spice Cake
Apple Cake V
Just swipe to see more like this.