Date Cake6 Reviews
“This cake becomes more moist each day that it is covered. This recipe was my Grandmother's and we always had this cake at Christmas. I know the recipe is at least 60 years old.” - by nanniesue
Original recipe yields 10 to 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans. Set aside. Put dates in a bowl with soda and pour boiling water on top. Set a side.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 1 cup sugar, 2 1/2 cups flour and 1 cup chopped walnuts. Add egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, pinch of salt and tablespoon butter. Mix to combine. Finally, stir in chopped dates with liquid. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cake will pull away from sides of pans and be golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan, combine buttermilk, 1 cup sugar, pinch of salt and 4 tablespoons flour. Cook on medium heat until thickened. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and remaining cup of walnuts.
- Spread mixture between layers and on top of cake. Let filling run down the sides of cake.
Amount Per Serving (11 total)
- 458 cal
- 15.9 g
- 74.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"Since I bake alot,I really should have paid more attention to the ingrediants.A tablespoon of butter is not enough oil for this cake.And 4 tablespoons of flour in a icing?And that is what the icing ta..." See morestes like.Flour.I actually used less that the recipe called for and still,thats the taste.Dry,flour tasting,not good at all.Possible the worst cake I have ever baked."
"this recipe was given to me many, many years ago. i was delighted to see that someone else had it and enjoys it as much as i do. it's really one of the best cakes that i have made. all cake lovers m..." See moreust try it. it deserves 10 stars."
"Although the cake is good, I wouldn't give it 5 stars. It didn't "wow me" as I thought it would. My husband really liked it and we both agree that it is the icing that makes it. I feel that it isn'..." See moret really moist enough right after the baking process. The cake is predominantly a nut cake and not a date cake. The dates only seem to accent it, which isn't unusual as the recipe calls for 2 cups on nuts and only 1 cup of dates. As it stands, I have to say that taste is entirely a personal matter and I can only speak for myself. It tastes fine, but I prefer a meatier tecture when it comes to a date cake."
Date Nut Loaf Cake
Tanya's Date Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.