Harvey's Moroccan Roast Chicken9 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“Paprika, fresh mint, and lemon make the best rub for this roast chicken. It roasts slowly under the foil and turns out so juicy and flavorful. I throw baby carrots and cut potatoes in the bottom of the pan and it makes a full meal! For a spicier version of this recipe use 'hot' paprika. It seems like a lot of work to get all the spices together--but it's SO worth it. My husband asks for it once a week.” - by MONKEYCAT
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- For the spice mix: Mix together in a bowl the cloves, pepper, fennel, sesame seeds, coriander, cumin, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom. Set aside.
- For the spice paste: Place the paprika, lemon juice, the spice mix (from Step 2), salt, chopped mint, black pepper and garlic cloves in a blender. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and blend to until ingredients are mixed, about 6 or 8 pulses. Slowly add the additional olive oil if mixture seems too thick to spread. Blend just until mixture is a smooth paste.
- Spread potatoes and carrots in a roasting pan. Rub about 1/4 of the spice paste inside the cavity of the chicken. Rub the remainder of the paste on the outside of the chicken including the underside. Place the chicken directly on the carrots and potatoes. Pierce the 2 lemons all over with a fork, and place them into the chicken cavity.
- Tent the chicken with aluminum foil. Roast approximately 2 hours until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) and the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 789 cal
- 45.2 g
- 32.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (9)Rate This Recipe
"the spices in this recipe gives it and exotic flavor and the preparation is so easy..." See more"
"Well, I liked it, and my family raved tonight. I like the way the potatoes absorb the lemon juices & the spices. I added onions. Next time I make it I'm going to put a good bit of the rub under the..." See more skin and let it marinate for an hour or two. THANKS"
"This was delicious! I ground all the spices fresh (I had whole of everything) after toasting them. I also tossed the potatoes and carrots in a bit of olive oil & salt to help with seasoning and brown..." See moreing. I also cranked the heat to 400 for the last 30 minutes to help with browning. Delicious!"
Happy Roast Chicken
Lemon-Herb Roast Chicken with Pan Gravy
Just swipe to see more like this.