Overnight Pork Roast With Cabbage31 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook: 1 hr
- Ready In: 1 day 1 hr
“This is a delicious pork loin and cabbage recipe, topped with mashed potatoes! Well worth the effort that needs to go into it. Make sure you have a meat thermometer handy for this one! Substitute sauerkraut for the cabbage for that Old World touch!” - by MARBALET
Original recipe yields 8 to 10 servings
- In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of the crushed caraway seeds, garlic, salt and ground black pepper. Rub the pork with the dry rub mixture, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of the crushed caraway seeds and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Transfer this to a 10x15 inch roasting pan.
- In the same skillet over high heat, combine 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, half (1 1/4 pounds) of the cabbage, and 1/2 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds. Saute, stirring often, until this cooks down, about 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer this to the roasting pan and repeat with another 1/2 tablespoon of oil, the remaining half (1 1/4 pounds) of the cabbage, and the remaining crushed caraway seeds. Once cooked down, transfer this to the roasting pan.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Place the pork loin in the heated oil and brown well on all sides. Set the roast on top of all the vegetables in the roasting pan. Add the beer and molasses to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping up all the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Pour this and the broth over the pork roast and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Turn pork over and bake until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). At this point, remove the pan from the oven and let the pork sit on a cutting board for 5 minutes. Then slice the pork into serving size pieces. Discard the bay leaves. Return the sliced pork to the pan resting over the vegetables. Top off with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving (9 total)
- 421 cal
- 18.1 g
- 33.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (31)Rate This Recipe
"Because of time constraints, I applied the rub to the pork just before cooking. To ease preparations, I skipped all the steps about sauteing a little at a time - I just put all the veggies into a big..." See more roasting pan and sauteed them all at once until the cabbage had wilted,then put the roast (unbrowned) on top of the veggies and slid it into the oven. It was awesome - I'll definitely make this again."
"very good recipe- my family does not like me to cook with beer so I used apple juice instead (good results). I used beef stock in place of the broth (more flavor, less salt). I cut the cabbage in chu..." See morenks instead of shredding it (my wife's preference)and I just quartered some potatoes and cooked them with the roast. I sliced the meat and served it atop the vegetables - pleasing to the eye and delicious"
Pork Sausage and Cabbage Pitas
Pickly Pork Chops with Potatoes and Cabbage
Just swipe to see more like this.