Maharani Cupcakes19 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 4 hr 30 min
“Named for a queen in India, these coconut cupcakes with curry lemon curd and a sweet basil cream topping will wow your friends and family. They have sweet but exotic flavors and a stunning presentation. The cupcakes take time to create, but the final product is worth it! The lemon curd and basil cream need time to chill, so they can be made the night before.” - by mkecupcakequeen
Original recipe yields 2 dozen cupcakes
- To make the sweet basil cream, heat the whipping cream in a saucepan until hot; do not boil. Turn off the heat and add the basil, stems and all, to the cream and allow it to steep for 1 hour. Refrigerate the cream for 3 hours or overnight. Strain and discard the basil.
- Meanwhile, make the sweet curry lemon curd. Use a large microwave-safe bowl: the curd will expand to twice its volume as it cooks. Whisk together the white sugar, two eggs, and curry powder until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter. Cook in the microwave, stirring at one-minute intervals, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Pour the cooked curd through a sieve and refrigerate for at least three hours or until set. The mixture will have the consistency of soft pudding.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Combine the white cake mix and coconut flakes in a mixing bowl. Stir in the water, three eggs, vegetable oil, and coconut extract. (For an extra-light texture, separate the egg whites from the yolks and beat the whites until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter.)
- Scoop the cake batter into the prepared pans, filling the cups 2/3 full. Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a chilled bowl, whip the cold basil-infused cream and 3 cups of confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate. Beat the cream cheese and remaining 3 cups of confectioners' sugar until smooth and soft. Fold in the whipped cream and mix gently until fully combined.
- To decorate the cupcakes, spread a tablespoon of the lemon curd on top of each cupcake, followed by a dollop of the basil cream. Sprinkle with dragees.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 393 cal
- 16.3 g
- 60 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"Copiously unique! I'm the only reviewer of this recipe and I was excited to take my first bite. The combination of flavors were unbelieveably harmonious, especially if you like exotic flavors of the E..." See moreast and the Tropics. You will be delightfully surprised by this cupcake! Definitely NOT for the faint of palette! I used Duncan Heinz butter recipe yellow cake mix; 1 Tbsp of mild curry, 1 Tbsp of coconut extract and 4 cups of powder sugar in total and it was plentiful. Next time, I will shred the sweetened flaked coconuts more to keep the taste, yet not so pronounced in texture. Used only 1 stem of the basil and it perfumed the frosting perfectly. It is a process, but I believe it will be a recipe you'll want to use when you want something that can only be experienced!"
"Each individual part of these cupcakes is very good: the coconut cupcakes, the curry lemon curd and the basil cream. Together though, the taste was a little bizarre. I enjoyed eating it, though I di..." See moredn't want to have another one. I guess I don't like my desserts to taste like dinner. However, the coconut cupcakes are the best I've ever had. I made them again and made a frosting of 1 part cream to 2 parts powdered sugar- whip until desired consistency and add orange blossom water or jasmine flavoring to taste. They were to die for this way and I served them at a party...people were begging me for the recipe!"
"I also made these for an Indian-themed dinner, and they were quite a hit. I must admit that I toned down some of the more intense tastes...only 1 T curry powder, and just a few basil leaves in the w..." See morehipping cream. The cupcakes looked beautiful - I scooped out a plug from the top of each cupcake and filled with lemon curd, then topped with the slice of cupcake that I removed. Then I spread some more lemon curd over the top, with the whipped cream over that, but not quite covering it all of the way. Over that, I sprinkled toasted coconut, and topped with a sprig of very small basil leaves. Great presentation, unique flavor."
Lemon-Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Just swipe to see more like this.