Eggplant and Tomato Bake58 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 min
“This is a rich, substantial meal when served with pita or crusty bread and salad. It gets better with time and makes a popular leftover, if there are any leftovers!” - by Mai Forrester
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Slice the eggplants into 1/4 inch slices and lightly salt them. Leave them to sweat for 30 minutes. While the eggplant are set aside, saute the onions, garlic, and olive oil in a large skillet over a low heat, covering the pan with a lid to keep them moist. Saute the onions until they are soft and turning gold in color.
- Mix the basil, oregano, tomato puree, water, salt and pepper into the pan of onions and simmer for ten minutes.
- While the mixture is simmering, rinse off the eggplant slices and steam them either in a microwave steamer basket (in two batches at 10 minutes each) or in a steamer over the stove.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-aerosol cooking spray.
- Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the tomato sauce-mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange one layer of the eggplants on the bottom of the dish. Pour one third of the tomato sauce over the eggplant. Pour one container of yogurt over the tomato sauce. Repeat the eggplant layer, tomato sauce, yogurt, eggplants, and top the dish with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle the wheat germ or breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole, followed by the Parmesan cheese. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes; until topping is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 142 cal
- 3.6 g
- 24 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (58)Rate This Recipe
"very filling and hearty! i cheated though by cubibg the eggplant and cooking it with the onions. then i only had to cook it on the oven for 30 mins...." See more"
"This was a very good base recipe, but I added a few more ingredients so I would enjoy it more. I used chickpeas (1/2 mashed, 1/2 whole) added chopped tomatoes, put in a layer of zuchinni, brushed bals..." See moreamic vinegar over the eggplant before baking in the oven, and used whatever quantities of ingredients I thought would be good proportions. Five stars after my additions. Thanks Mai for the great base recipe."
"Excellent vegetarian recipe and probably one of the best uses of eggplant. For a single guy like me who is still finding his way around the kitchen, this dish turned out to be a great confidence buil..." See moreder, with plenty for left overs to boot! I would definitely increase the quantity of sauce and use a slightly heavier hand on the parmesan. Thank you for a great dish."
Eggplant Tomato Bake
Eggplant Tomato Bake
Just swipe to see more like this.