Lambless Shepherd's Pie4 Reviews
- Prep: 1 hr 5 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“This dish takes some time to prepare, but it well worth the effort. It's an excellent vegetarian alternative at any holiday meal.” - by jen
Original recipe yields 6 to 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring 2 1/2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Cut the potatoes into thirds and drop them into the water. Gently boil the potatoes for 20 minutes or until they are tender. Drain well and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper into the potato-pot. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher, incorporating 1/2 cup of the warm milk, until they are fairly smooth.
- In a saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the kasha. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups more water to the kasha, and bring the mixture to a boil. Then add the bulgur, cover the pan and take it off the heat. Let the grain stand undisturbed for 10 minutes. Transfer the contents to a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoon butter. Mix in the onions, garlic, and carrots; saute them over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions soften. Mix in the mushrooms and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes; stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until the flour begins to brown. Pour the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk over the vegetables, and turn the heat to high. While the sauce boils stir it constantly with a whisk. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix the corn, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste into the vegetable-flour mixture. Pour the vegetable-gravy mixture to the bowl of kasha and bugler. Stir well.
- Grease a 10 inch round pie pan or casserole dish, and spoon the vegetable-grain mixture into it. Smooth the mixture with a plastic spatula. Spoon on the mashed potatoes over the vegetable mixture leaving an uneven top surface.
- Bake the pie uncovered for 30 minutes. Garnish with the chopped parsley. Cut the pie into pieces, and serve.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 421 cal
- 10.8 g
- 73.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"This recipe was absolutely delicious! I made it tonight for dinner, and my husband had two servings. Very tasty. I did substitute soy meat for the kasha and bulgar, and added a little rosemary, but..." See more other than that the flavor was wonderful and I will definitely make this again!"
"I cannot have a pie without a bottom crust at least. Adding that gives this recipe some of the savory-ness to send it over the top. I also added some leftover green bean casserole and because my husba..." See morend brought home a couscous mix rather than plain couscous, 'n that seasoning packet (Marakesh Express Wild Mushroom) added something so it wasn't overly bland. [Husband still wanted meat and gravy, but teenaged son said, Mmm...mushrooms!]"
Short-Cut Shepherds Pie
Laurie's Shepherd's Pie
Just swipe to see more like this.