Shawna's Southern Fried Chicken Salad6 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 30 min
“This fried chicken and rice salad with bacon dressing is an old favorite of mine.” - by Shawna
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Pour buttermilk in a separate large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then in cornmeal mixture. Coat lightly and cook in hot oil until crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Combine the rice, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, onion, and chicken in medium bowl. Place lettuce on bottom of 4 servings bowls or plates. Top with rice and chicken mixture.
- Prepare the dressing by placing the bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over chicken mixture.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add 2 tablespoons water, cider vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper; heat just to boiling and pour over salad.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 844 cal
- 53.3 g
- 56 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"I too doubled the dressing and thought it was delicious. Grilled chicken may be used instead of fried chicken as well...." See more"
"The chicken was really good. However the dressing didn't quite turn out right it was too watery...." See more"
Easy and Fast Cajun Chicken Caesar Salad
Grilled Orange Vinaigrette Chicken Salad
Just swipe to see more like this.