Toasted Coconut-Topped Blueberry Cake6 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 2 hr 40 min
“I have altered my grandmother's famous blueberry cake recipe to my personal liking. The toasted coconut crumble topping is a wonderful addition to the cake.” - by Amanda
Original recipe yields 1 9x9-inch cake
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x9-inch square baking pan.
- Whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl; set aside. Toss the blueberries in a little of the flour mixture until coated; set aside.
- Beat the shortening and 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Pour in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the floured blueberries, mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- To make the topping, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour, and the cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender until no small pieces of butter remain. Stir in the toasted coconut, then sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving (9 total)
- 481 cal
- 17.9 g
- 76.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (6)Rate This Recipe
"I doubled the recipe and baked it for about 50-60 minutes. The Toasted coconut top was very delicious! I used eath balance margarine in place of the shortning and butter. i would make this again...." See more"
"I am giving this recipe five stars based on my revisions. I would probably give two stars to the original recipe. The reason being - the amount of topping is ridiculous – basically two full cups for..." See more a little 9” square coffee cake. I made the cake portion as written, subbing buttermilk for the milk, because I had some to use up. For the topping I used 1/4 cup of brown sugar (not white), 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 t. cinnamon, 3 T. butter and the full 1/2 cup of coconut. I didn’t have toasted coconut but regular worked just fine. I also used a 9” springform pan which worked well. My result was delicious and I would make this again. Next time I may up the coconut a little more to 3/4 cup just to compare. Give this a try, but adjust the amount of topping and you will be very pleased."
Blueberry Coffee Cake III
Cocoa Blueberry Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.