Black Bottom Pie IV2 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 55 min
“This pie's rich chocolaty layer and its airy rum cream layer are supported by a spicy gingersnap crust. Please note: this recipe contains raw eggs. We recommend that pregnant women, young children, the elderly and the infirm do not consume raw eggs. Important: be sure to use only fresh eggs for this recipe.” - by Saundra
Original recipe yields 1 - 10 inch pie
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10 inch pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cookie crumbs and softened butter. Press firmly into pie pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks. Bring milk to a simmer in top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of milk into egg yolk mixture, then gradually whisk egg yolk mixture into remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon. Remove from heat.
- Transfer 1 1/4 cups of hot egg yolk mixture to a small bowl and add unsweetened chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted. Allow to cool slightly, then mix in vanilla extract. Pour chocolate mixture into cooled pie crust. Place in refrigerator.
- Combine gelatin with cold water and set aside to soften 5 minutes. Add to remaining egg yolk mixture, stirring well. Allow to cool, then stir in rum.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled gelatin mixture. Spoon over chocolate layer.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Spread over top of pie. Sprinkle with grated chocolate. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 519 cal
- 32.9 g
- 48.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
Black Bottom Pie II
Caramel Pie I
Just swipe to see more like this.